15 January 2011

Jackson & Perkins: Poised For A Comeback?

Despite a bankruptcy filing last year, Jackson & Perkins issues a beautiful Spring catalog offering.

The new year rolled in, and so have quite a number of seed/plant catalogs. This annual offering of seeds and plants seems to sustain me during these dreary winter months that keep us indoors wishing for the warmth of bright sunshine on our faces. I pour over each book, thinking of ways to include flowers into my garden as I impatiently await springs arrival.

I was surprised to receive a new Jackson & Perkins catalog last week. I was under the impression that they were down for the count, due to a bankruptcy filing last year. I had assumed that this wretched economic state that we are all in had done them in, and they would soon close their doors forever. Which would be very very sad to me. They are a company that in past years, held the banner of rose gardening high and encouraged gardeners everywhere to participate in showing our "National Floral Emblem" to its fullest potential. I am elated to be corrected. From the looks of their spring offering, it seems that J & P not only has a catalog full of beautiful roses, they may also be staged for a comeback! As I browsed the catalog a few times, three introductions really stood out:







"Always and Forever" - Hybrid Tea is a beautiful red rose and was selected as J & P's "2011 Rose of the Year". It reminds me of the award winning "Veteran's Honor". I never attend a rose show that I don't see this rose on the winners table. "Always and Forever" seems to have show potential. Time will tell....




"Crescendo" - Hybrid Tea this rose has been named to honor the Nashville Symphony. This rose is said to have a high center "that offers large blooms that spiral open to reveal harmonious shades of cream and soft pink." The Nashville Rose Society was instrumental of the creation of the "Nashville Music City Rose Garden" in downtown Nashville, just across the street from the Symphony Hall. This garden features many roses named for Country Music Stars, their songs and their musical journeys. If you ever visit Nashville, I hope you will do two things, visit this garden and walk around the corner to visit the Schermerhorn Symphony Center.



"Shazam" - Floribunda - Two things I love in a rose: great color and fragrance. This rose seems to have it all. I love the color combination of this rose and hope that it will live up to its promise with a spicy fragrance and super bloom power...... (This is my wife's favorite. No need to guess which one we are ordering.....LOL)


9 comments:

grouchy said...

The first rose I ever bought was a J&P rose called Pristine. That was in 1977. I still remember the excitement I had with the first bloom.

It is 'funny' how companies maneuver to stay afloat.

The Redneck Rosarian said...

Pristine is a beautiful rose. I see it often at rose shows. It is sad that we are at risk of loosing the major players in the U.S. rose industry. Weeks has also filed. Growth too fast, too soon in a faltering economy will get you everytime! As will introducing far too many new roses each year..... Spread themselves waaay to thin.

Katydid said...

You are causing the "cabin fever" in me to go up a few degrees! What gorgeous roses! I am going to J & P site right now and see if I can order a catalog. Thanks for the info!
Kelly

Hartwood Roses said...

J&P, though it is not the J&P of its hey day in the mid 20th century, is still regarded by even novices as having superior roses ... J&P roses, no matter which cultivar, were something to brag about. Unless the roses are on their own roots, which is happening at J&P more often now, their Dr. Huey rootstock doesn't like our acid soil here in Virginia. Have you ever ordered from Pickering or Palatine in Canada? They are hands-down, by-far my favorites for superior budded roses (on multiflora). I have NEVER had a bad rose from either of these vendors.

Autumn Belle said...

I am trying to grow roses again having seen such beautiful ones from blogs like yours. Thank you very much for your info about twitter, now I'm following you. Now I have some idea how to do more.

Kate/High Altitude Gardening said...

I would be very sad, indeed, to lose Jackson and Perkins. I've probably spent more money with that company than any other online nursery. Love those shrub roses...

Hocking Hills Gardener said...

Often filing for Bankruptcy gives a business a chance to reestablish themselves and make a come back. So I am hoping it will help Jackson & Perkins. I have not received their catalog yet but I can hardly wait. That Shazam Floribunda looks so interesting Chris.

Secret Garden Cottage said...

Glad to hear they're still around... love their catalog! The Crescendo rose looks beautiful!
I also want to thank you for your sweet comment... so very much appreciated. :)
Have a wonderful weekend!
~ Jo

Msrobin said...

I didn't know they had filed bankruptcy, but I hope it works out okay, because I've had good luck with them in the past. Right now I'm poring over the new catalog to decide which two roses to order to climb over my new arbor. I'm thinking a yellow and a pink, must have fragrance, bloom often, and not get much disease. Any suggestions?